A few tips for driving a motor boat
- Familiarise yourself with all parts of the boat, including safety equipment, etc.
- Check personal flotation devices on board - ensure there is a sufficient amount (and size).
- Have a check list that you use before each boating excursion.
- Always ensure you have enough fuel, oil, etc, before leaving the dock.
- There will usually be a steering wheel, and a forward and reverse.
- Yourself and your passengers should avoid alcohol consumption.
- Learn the navigational rules.
- Bear in mind the wind and current.
- Always practice safety.
A few tips for sailing
- Learn to sail away from crowded waters, and in low winds.
- Practice raising a boat from capsized.
- So that you can be easily seen in the water, wear bright colours.
- Ensure you have good swimming skills.